DEFEAT THE GREATEST KILLER STRESS IN 20 REMARKABLE WAYS
By Josh Balerite Acol
We always get the hang of it, that all things that make us feel awful and upset are stress. In addition, it is also the hardest time killer and even the talk of the town as the greatest “number one killer disease”. Do you know why dear Soul? But don’t you know that not all stress is destructive?
Which of which is and do you know how to defeat stress in 20 remarkable ways?
First things first. I want to upskill you on some terms here about stress.
For all you know, things that cause stress are stressors.
This leads us to two kinds of stress:
1. Positive Stress, or the stress that affects you beneficially which is called Eustress. This term is coined by a famous endocrinologist named Dr. Hans Selye, one of the pioneering scientists in the study of stress.
gives an inspiring feeling
boosts our performance
short-lived or a temporary encounter
discerned as within our surviving ability to cope
feels thrilling or stimulating
2. Negative Stress or Distress is the one that gives harmful effects on your person.
weakens your bodily system
it is outside our surviving capability
maybe momentary or permanent
causes fear and worry
leads to the mental, physical, and behavioral adaptation to stressors
If you are currently undergoing the following positive stressors, fear not as not everybody shows the same reactions to varied situations. As for the following you may experience stress but only to a certain degree and may also cause enhancing actions:
1. Moving to a new home
2. Going on a vacation
3. Being pregnant
4. Having a promotion at work
5. Studying a new skill or learning online a new course
6. To join in marriage
7. Retiring from work
If you are experiencing one or two at the same time as the following symptoms, then, let’s face it, my dear old Soul, you ARE really, truly negatively stressed!
1. Feeling anxious due to some legal problem
3. Always up and about
4. Going and walking in circles
5. Feeling itchy in some parts of your skin and body
6. Feeling a heavy head, like having a severe migraine
7. Having high blood pressure
8. Sleepless nights or having insomnia often
9. “Stress eating” or overeating, called binging
10. The reverse of the above which is unable to eat due to overthinking
11. Having a painful stomach
12. Loose bowel movements
13. Cannot focus on your work
14. Fast heartbeat leading to hypo or hyperthyroidism
15. Indulging in sweets too often
The World Health Organization has recently issued a study about chronic stress which can lead to anxiety and depression. This ailment is the primary problem in almost all parts of the world, and which can lead to an incurable disease, sudden death like cardiovascular attack due to high blood pressure.
I don’t know about you dear Soul, but, years ago, I have been one of the victims of this killer disease.
Cupid, the Roman God of love hit my heart with his famous arrow and paired with someone whom I think of as somebody who will be my “forever after”. I devoted to him mostly 100% of my time, and through this process, haven’t noticed I keep forgetting to take care of myself. The moment I wake up each morning, he is the one occupying my mind first, and before I retire to bed at night, he is the last one on my mind.
Little did I know that one of those days are the last moments I will be hearing from him, as he suddenly vanished from my sight.
Because of this very sad fate, I find it hard to accept and adjust to it.
Unknowingly at first, I started experiencing itchiness all over my hands up to my fingertips.
Due to discomfort, I kept scratching and scratching until my skin hurts, tears, and small round watery blisters start forming. It is a good feeling to do the scratching all over you know, (oh yeah).
Thereafter, the blisters became painful wounds as the skin started to bleed due to my scratching.
Soon, I realized I am having watery, bleeding blisters all over which feels so painful that I have a hard time doing my daily tasks.
I am forced then to have a consultation with a Dermatologist, and he diagnosed me as suffering from Nummular Eczema.
It is a skin disease originating from an unknown cause. Although it is not contagious, the person suffering from it may acquire bodily infections due to the exposed wounds caused by constant scratching, which may lead to death if untreated early.
Moreover, this skin disease is a very rare one, which is aside from hereditary reasons, some people are going through it who are constantly under pressure and stress.
My doctor is advising me to use an ointment for me to apply on the areas of my skin when I am enduring it, with accompanying oral antihistamines to induce me to sleep.
Because of this gloomy incident, I began to distance myself away from those who happen to admire and like me as I was afraid to fall in love and be heartbroken again (yay).
I have fully recovered from this skin problem, but as the days passed when something triggers like I am in the middle of a nerve-wracking situation, I notice I am beginning to feel itchy again on some of my skin parts specifically at the back of my hands and fingers.
To alleviate my situation, I have learned how to conquer stress in my way. I have found hobbies that kept me busy. And I have personally learned to deviate my mind if I am sensing I am stressing again.
How about you? How are you coping with stress?
I want to share with you the following ways where you could defeat the negative stress. You can do it, Sniffles, yes!
1. Reading books that occupy your mind and keeping you from overthinking about your present problem.
2. Doing a hobby you especially love.
Specifically singing, sketching, drawing, gardening, biking, driving, swimming, and a lot more, are just some of the wide-ranging lists.
3. Listening to music which uplifts your spirits especially the one you loved listening to often.
Do you notice your mood lightens, you feel creative, and just plain-old happy?
4. How about going with your loved ones and family, eating out, maybe once in a while.
Take the time to post a reminder or uplifting, inspiring words in places you can see often, like on your desk in your office, on your bedroom door where you can easily read the moment you wake up each day.
Or you can have it on your mobile’s main screen, or better yet, set an alarm, or a time where you gotta read an inspiring thought each day.
6. Talking to a guidance counselor or a professional psychologist.
7. Traveling to other places you haven’t been to.
8. Write out on paper every time something bothers you.
Devote some time to jot down on your personal stress writing journal what makes you angry, what troubles you, or one that simply bothers you.
9. Having an adult coloring book is something popular nowadays as distressing hobbies for stressed people like us.
10. Eating a favorite food or desserts, like ice cream, yogurt, or chocolates.
Sweets do stimulate our minds to combat stress, especially dark chocolate. As they say, you should treat “stressed” with its antidote that is, “desserts”, which coincidentally is stressed spelled in reverse?!
This one’s my fave, you know, dark choco, as I have noticed I feel fully awake every time I eat this. One concern though is, don’t ever let yourself indulge excessively as you may suffer from diabetes my dear…whew!
11. Talking your heart out with your BFF.
It helps if you have someone to confide with your hopelessness in life, your failures, and pain, your setbacks. You are lucky if you have found a punching bag in your BFF…😂
12. Getting yourself a planner to organize your life and consult with.
If possible, a bullet journal, an Ultimate Life Binder, or simply a Gratitude Journal, or an art journal. More on this in my coming blog posts sweetie, as we will create one together.
13. Learning how to meditate is the most basic of all in developing your personality mindset to combat stress.
There are several ways to do meditation. Therefore, I am going to give you the best options I know sweetie.
Listening to music for relaxation like:
14. You should frequently browse the internet, especially through different social media to reequip yourself with the daily fuss of life.
Hence, you may soon find out, you will go nuts about it, especially if you meet new-found friends and like-minded individuals who may act as your accountability buddy.
15. Create a new relaxation time for yourself, as a sort of consolation.
Subsequently, you can treat yourself from time to time when you achieve something special. In addition, you can do a little bit of shopping for some new clothes and then dress up, show up and smile.
16. Learning to love yourself first and have ample time to take good care of yourself, too.
I bet you will gonna love to pamper yourself like having a foot spa, or simply take a bath with warm, flowing water and has the smell of some nice lavender or jasmine-scented candles, which can do wonders a lot.
Lavender and jasmine possess stress-reducing properties.
Taking care of yourself is the most important thing to do. Otherwise, how can you give love to others when you, your precious self need it?
Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel. -Eleanor Brownn Click To Tweet
17. Guess what’s next on my list, sniffles? Yes, you guess it right, through exercise, of course.
You get to drive away those stress germs and will help you with depression, keeping you focused and stress-free all day. Physical fitness releases endorphins needed by our body to relieve stress.
Now is the time to include it in your daily routine.
18. Always take time to pray and talk to God daily.
Entrust to Him all your worries and pain, and learn to be grateful for all the blessings He bestows on you every day. Certainly, this is the most important of all, that is, being truthful to our one and only creator.
19. Declutter your environment and keep it a healthy one.
In this way, spotless home or an immaculate place at work will aid you in your personal growth. Moreover, steering clear of things, places, and of course, people that stress you will also give you an advantage.
Consider it this way, dear Soul, stress at home, stress at work, plus stress within you, leads you to anxiety and depression. Who knows this will make your spirits so low, and then, kaboom! What a messy, loser You!
20. Ultimately, it helps to have a daily affirmation.
This, in turn, will remind you that you are unique and you are special, too. To sum it all, someone or somebody out there will love you as you are, the way you do, the way you look.
Maybe, you have other ways wherein you can beat stress in simple, marvelous ways, that aren’t here on my list. Will you share it with me, Sweetie, by typing your comments below? Or better yet, share this post with your friends by clicking the share buttons. Remember, sharing is caring.